Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Munra Point --->I am not scared of heights ... Yes, I am lying.





                            

My "scared time to turn back" face. 

Back in May I decided to go for a trail run with a slight detour up to Munra Point. It was pouring down rain and didn't really know where I was going (just the general area)...but it still seemed like a great idea. I had seen all of the pictures online and wanted to see it in person. Plus, how hard can it be? Right? Well, it's not so much that it was difficult...I mean it was, but difficult I can do. It was the height. Apparently, I am a little sensitive to abrupt cliffs that drop off into the unknown-->meh, not really unknown...I mean...I know the ground is down there somewhere...it's just that I would rather not hit it face first.  I am not a cat. I almost never land on my feet. Well, I crawled my way up the mini waterfall that was the path due to heavy rain. I got to the first "chimney" out of 2...and I had to turn back. Well, I didn't have to but honestly...I got scared. I was alone. I hadn't seen people in a long time and it was pouring down rain. I just kept thinking..."If I fall no one would even know and I would  miss my upcoming ultra." Super rational thinking, I know. I ended up having a minor internal panic attack and turned back down the way I came...scooting on my toosh for the steepest parts. That being said...I am returning this afternoon to make it to the spiny ridges at the top. Here's hoping it all goes to plan! I'll update when I get back from making it to the top. Because, I am gonna. Stupid heights....but gotta get up high to see the prettiest views. 



UPDATE:





There's so much I wanna say about this trip in the gorge....but I think the pictures really tell it all. The first time I attempted this...apparently, I was only about 30 feet from the top. That makes me cringe just thinking how close I was. I don't like heights. I don't hate them tho. I LOVE them for the perspective it can put me with the rest of the world. Helps me see what I wouldn't otherwise be able to see from the ground. And for that I am so grateful. But, there is a switch in my brain that makes me go from super tough (meh semi tough) trail runner to "OMG I am going to die...this is the end" and this switch gets activated when I am high up and surrounded by cliffs. Needless to say, coming back and facing this stupid fear that I am intent on kicking to the curb, was kind of a big deal. This visit was a lot more enjoyable then last time. Last time I was running in the rain...and I was having an emotional day. So, to top off being in a super dark place...I decided that an impromptu visit to scary Munra Point was a good idea. Plus, I love mud. How bad could it be. This time...it was a planned venture with running friends. Having others with me who were encouraging and striving for the same thing...made it much easier to face my ridiculous, over the top...super debilitating fear of heights. It's not the fear that makes me attempt to karate chop a tiny spider and shreak out loud. It's the kind of fear that makes my insides go dark and every confident thought and moment I have ever had disappears while that fear is there. Dementors! Yes...heights for me are like dementors. Ok, I have said enough...my nerd is showing. Basically, it was a fantastic trek up to the top of Munra Point and I cant wait find another way to face this pesky fear...because my love of mountains and views isn't ever going away. Super grateful that Ryan and Millie were there to share in the adventure.


Disclaimer: There may not be any dirt left there...I think I took it all with me.








That little speck was having one hell of a battle in her mind at that time

No comments:

Post a Comment