Thursday, May 5, 2016

-::Pre-Smith Rock Ascent 50K::-


I spent most of the week a bundle of nerves leading up to this weekend. I've ran all the scenarios of "what if's" and "oh no's!" and "whoopsies!!" through my head...and I THINK I've gotten it out of my system. I have however not stopped checking what the weather is going to be like on Saturday. Don't worry, I check it like 40 times a day...so if it changes ( and it has a lot) I will know about it. Forecast says HOT. Don't worry I DO NOT melt in the heat. Oh wait, yep I do. 



I watched a Ginger Runner film last night...(well I watched quite a few)... but the one I am specifically referring to is ::The 2015 Gorge Waterfalls 50K.:: This is actually a run that I would like to do next year <let's survive the first one shall we>. It's a really really challenging run and on this course I did A LOT of my training runs. I actually ran into the 2016 race on my 26 mile training run- even got in their race photos lol. Anyway- my point is....( If I even have a point).. is that I did a lot of my training on a very challenging course-----> so it made me feel a little more confident in my training and what I have done to get ready for Smith Rock.  But seriously, watch it, it's great... wait...read my blog first...then watch it- --link is at the bottom.-- Moving on...

I have done some strange things to get ready...or to keep my mind off of the nervousness. I went shooting with my husband (that's a first) ...turns out I don't have much upper body strength because I was very sore afterwards (aka: I am such a bad ass). I have memorized the aid station miles (there's only 4 - apparently, that is MORE than enough for a small little 31.5 miler nbd.). I am not totally clear on my thought process of memorizing where the aid stations are but I am sure it will be very helpful when I am exhausted, sun burnt, sweaty and incoherent. Also, found out there are no port-a-potties on the entire course (aside from the start/finish)...good thing there are tons of trees and bushes to pee behind at Smith Rock-Oh, wait..nope... it's the desert..so I guess I'll find a rock to pee on. I finally understand why an experienced Ultra Marathoner told me to bring baby wipes----> Yikes!. <Basically, I am a delicate flower who has been spoiled with JIC Port-a-potties every 2 miles-It's like Road Side Assistance...you may never use it but it's just nice to know it's there.> 



Today's main focus is nutrition & breathing. Wonky nerves make it hard to eat . . . (and breathe).....but I have been doing a pretty good job keeping up on nutrition-it's the breathing that I am having trouble with. Supplies at my desk for hydration are; coffee, water and coconut water. The Bear naked is just for fun cuz it's delicious!<That's what she said? hmm>


It'll help that today is Cinco De Mayo and we are having a taco potluck at work-mmmmm tacos. 



Also-made out some packing lists; ya know to make me feel better


First Packing list-

::BRING 3 of EVERYTHING I OWN+ Baby Wipes (apparently)::

Revised More Realistic Packing Checklist (Running Essentials)-


-Nathan Firecatcher Hydration Vest+ Water bottles

-Burts Bees Chapstick- <Peppermint of course>
-ThinkSport Sunblock <bc #pasty>
-KT Tape
-DocSpartan Combat Ointment < that's a gross word >
-RunGoo <for the tosies>
-Garmin + charger
-Headphones x2
-Hammer Perpetuem
-Hammer Gel
-Trail Butter
-Nuun Active/Energy
-Skratch Lab Apple Cinn (BC YUM)
-Vega Recovery
-1200 different Adidas & Under Armour running outfits <bc of my constant battle of wanting to be comfy and not wanting to look like a rollie pollie hippo-going for flattering and comfy-is that soooo much to ask?>
-Swift wick socks
-Nike Sports bra
-Nike Zip Up for before the run
-Coffee
-Black Butte Porter <Beer of course>
-Flip Flops 
-Brooks Cascadia 10 
-Saucony Kinvara 4
-Pepto (BC despite popular belief I am NOT a Unicorn)

I will tell you- that I have made out this list about a billion times because every time I went to save it didn't save. And every time I went to type out the list I got more and more nervous. Right now I have this fear of the no port a potties in a desert scene. Do I pop a squat behind a rock? Do I accidentally pee on my shoe? What happens if I cant get back up? And when I fall, did I have time to pull up my shorts?? Gah! <This is my nightmare>-Got me a whole new bucket of "What if's"! 



                Thank you sweet readers for indulging my rant- IF you made it through the whole thing-if you didnt..... well, then you suck. Jk kinda...no really I am kidding. But seriously, it's not really that long. Ok ok...NOW, you  may watch the Ginger Runner video below. Wait-nope...send me happy thoughts for my first Ultra Marathon this weekend...and send them in the direction of Smith Rock.. thanks. Noooow you may go... 











Ginger Runner Film- 




No comments:

Post a Comment